Friday, September 24, 2010



Gwen and I recently spoke to a godly woman
who has reached the end of her endurance.
This woman’s family has seen incredible
suffering. She wakes up each day with a
black cloud of pain hanging over her home.
She has spent endless hours praying and
calling on the Lord for help, and her
friends have stood with her in intercession.

But month after month goes by, and things

do not change. Just when she sees a ray of
hope, things go back to the way they were,
yet everything is worse. She hears a message
or reads something that inspires her faith,
and she tries to soldier on.
But now she is totally worn out. She cries
a lot. She can hardly sleep. She is far beyond
asking why there is so much endless suffering
and pain. Now she is simply hoping to see
a little light at the end of her dark tunnel
of sorrow.

She told us, “I have come to the place where

I feel I have the right to give up. I’ve done
everything God has asked me. I have believed,
I have sought him, I have been faithful in
church and in reading his Word. Yet I see no
relief. I feel alone and helpless, depressed.
I am numb because of the constant nagging
thought that things will only get worse in
spite of all my efforts to obey. Now I have
to fight this thought: ‘I have a right to feel
as I do because I see no end to suffering.’”

We are praying diligently for her and her family.

We believe she will not faint in the battle and
that the Lord will send her help and encouragement.
But what she has said in her despair truly
touches something deep inside my soul. Many godly
believers have come to the same place of
hopelessness, and in sorrow they also cry, “I have
a right to quit the fight. I have a right to be
angry. I have a right to question God. When will
he answer my cry? Has the Lord passed me by?”

In Job’s despair, he cried, “(He) has destroyed

me on every side, and I am gone: and my hope hath
(he) removed like a tree… He counts me as one his
of enemies” (Job 19:10-11). Job then added:
“He has fenced me in so I cannot pass, and he has
set darkness in my paths” (19:8).

Does any of this sound familiar to you? Is this

your battle? Is it the struggle of someone you
know? Beloved, God is merciful. He will not turn
from you in your trial. He will not hold it
against you for expressing such thoughts when you
are down and hurting. Job came out of his trial
to a place of hope, and so will you.

(Job 23:8-10) - “I go forward, but he is not there:

and backward, but I cannot perceive him: on the left
hand, where he does work, but I cannot behold him:
he hides himself on the right hand, I cannot see him.
But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried
me, I shall come forth as gold”

~ by David Wilkerson

No comments: