Sunday, May 23, 2004






~ Look into Your Hand ~




I have a friend who is an artist. Before he left Vietnam forty years ago,his mother held his hand and told him, "Whenever you miss me, look
into your hand, and you will see me immediately." How penetrating these
!simple, sincere words

.Over the years, my friend looked into his hand many times

The presence of his mother is not just genetic. Her spirit, her hopes and
her
life are also in him. When he looks into his hand, he can see thousands of
generations before him and thousands of generations after him. He can see
that he exists not only in the evolutionary tree branching along the axis of
time, but also in the network of interdependent relations. He told me that
.he never feels lonely

When my niece came to visit me last summer, I offered her "Look into
Your Hand" as a subject for her meditation. I told her that every pebble,every leaf, and every butterfly are present
.in her hand




Thich Nhat Hanh _

No comments: