Saturday, May 31, 2003

Love Never Ends

Roses were her favorites
As this story goes
And every year her husband
sent them, tied with pretty bows

The year he died
the roses were delivered to her door
The card said "Be My Valentine"
like all the years before

Each year he sent her roses
and the note would always say
"I love you even more this year"
than last year on this day

My love for you will always grow
with every passing year
She knew this was the last time
that the roses would appear

She thought, he ordered roses
in advance before this day
Her loving husband did not know
that he would pass away

He always like to do things early
way before the time
Then, if he got too busy
everything would work out fine


She trimmed the stems
and placed them in a very special vase
then, sat the vase
beside the portrait of "his" smiling face

She would sit for hours
in her husband's favorite chair
While staring at his picture
and the roses sitting there

A year went by
and it was hard to live without her mate
With loneliness and solitude
that had become her fate

Then the very hour
as on Valentines before
The doorbell rang, and there were roses
sitting by her door

She brought the roses in
and then just looked at them in shock
Then went to get the telephone
to call the florist shop

The owner answered, and she asked him
if he would explain
Why would someone do this to
her, causing her such pain

"I know your husband passed away
more than a year ago,"
the owner said, "I knew you'd call
and you would want to know"



The flowers you received today
were paid for in advance
Your Husband always planned ahead
he left nothing to chance

There is a standing order
that I have on file down here
And he has paid, well in advance
You'll get them every year

There also is another thing
that I think you should know
He wrote a special little card
he did this years ago

Then, should ever I find out, that he's no
longer here
that's the card ... that should be sent
to you the following year



She thanked him and hung up the phone
her tears now flowing hard
Her fingers shaking
as she slowly reached to get the card

Inside the card
she saw that he had written her a note
Then, as she stared in total silence
this is what he wrote



"Hello My Love"
I know it's been a year since I've been gone
I hope it hasn't been too hard for you to overcome
I know it must be lonely
and the pain is very real
Or if it was the other way, I know how 'I' would feel

The love we shared made everything so beautiful in life
I loved you more than words can say
You were the perfect Wife

You were my friend and lover
You fulfilled my every need
I know it's only been a year, but please try not to grieve
I want you to be happy, even when you shed your tears
That is why the roses will be sent to you for many years

When you get these roses
Think of all the happiness that we had
and how both of us were blessed

I have always loved you
and I know I always will
But, my love you must go on
you have some living still

Please...try to find happiness
While living out your days
I know it is not easy
but I hope you find some ways



The roses will come every year
and they will only stop
When your door's not answered
When the Florist stops to knock

He will come five times that day
In case you have gone out
But after his "last visit"
He will know without a doubt
To take the roses to the place
Where I've instructed him
And place the roses where we are
Together once again

James A. Kisner

No comments: